Thursday, April 1, 2010

Wheaton on Wheaton.




















Wil Wheaton is our trekkie hero! Richard William "Wil" Wheaton III is an American actor and writer and great great great grandson of the founder of Wheaton College. He is best known for his portrayals of Wesley Crusher on the television series Star Trek: The Next Generation and Gordie LaChance in the film Stand by Me.

Wheaton made his acting debut in the 1981 TV film A Long Way Home, and his first cinema role was as Martin Brisby in the 1982 animated film The Secret of NIMH, the movie adaptation of Robert C. O'Brien's Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. 

"Later, I determined that the people who were really, really cruel – like the Wheatie weenies – really are a statistically insignificant number of people. And I know, just over the years from people who've e-mailed me at my web site and people who I've talked to since I started going to Wheaton homecoming events again in the last five years, that there are so many more people who really enjoyed everything about my great great greatgrandfather, including his name."

Wheaton has emerged as a vocal member of the "geek"/"nerd" community and runs his own weblog, Wil Wheaton Dot Net. 
He operates a message board, known as "The Soapbox" or "Paracosm", as part of the blog site. Rather than just a fan forum, it was a place where people could gather to talk about the Wheaton Covenant.

Wheaton told us "I love Wheaton, (the college not me... although I do love myself .. but not like that,) I love visiting the campus, I love buying everything in the gift shop that bears my name, I love that everytime I step into the boys dorm someone has a Star Trek poster over their bed. That makes me feel like I'm a part of something bigger than just myself. That didn't sound Dianetics-ish did it? Nevermind that last part, don't quote me"

No comments:

Post a Comment